A companion to the TRON 2.0 Unofficial FAQ that provides up-to-date
news about the TRON 2.0 gaming community and TRON in general.



If you're having trouble with the TRON 2.0: Killer App Mod
Read this Troubleshooting Guide




TRON Sequel In The Works After All?

By TronFAQ on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 at 10:03 AM
It's been just a couple of days since I stated that a TRON sequel would not be coming "any time soon" or "at least not one directed by Lisberger". It seems that I may not be correct about the former, but was correct about the latter?

According to the Hollywood Reporter, newcomer director Joseph Kosinski is "in final negotiations" to direct a new TRON sequel for Disney. (Newcomer, in the sense that until now he has mainly done television commercials.) Sean Bailey and Steven Lisberger are producing. Lost writers Eddie Kitsis and Adam Horowitz are writing the story.

Since I'm not familiar with the work of anyone on this project other than Lisberger, I can't make a judgment call at this time. But I will say that I am glad Disney has apparently decided to give up its plans for a remake, and is interested in a sequel instead. I imagine that when fans met the news of a remake a couple of years ago with much derision, that Disney quickly realized it was not a good idea to pursue that route.

Now after having said all that . . . this news gives me some hope, but I'm going to treat this as an "I'll believe it when I see it" item.

Big thanks to Avi for the news!
 
<< Home

5 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous September 11, 2007 2:46 PM
    I agree with the "i'll believe it when I see it" phrase. The key to the whole story is in the first sentence; "final negotiations". Who knows what will happen behind closed doors in that meeting!

    Still, i'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  2. Anonymous September 11, 2007 9:27 PM
    Also agreed. My background primarily is as a "Doctor Who" fan since the late 70s. I still have, from the early 1990s, the news clipping tucked away in a book that proclaims a "new Doctor Who movie" was in the works, with Pamela Anderson as the assistant.

    So, there's warning #1. Warning #2 also had its "Doctor Who" flavour: the movie was crap on multiple counts.

    ... oh, hopefully, if only, if only, pretty please, a new TRON movie and for it to be good.

    ... but Disney's still overseeing. The saccharine Disney touch at the end of TRON 2.0's cinematics still makes me want to reach for Insulin. Oh please, oh please, don't let this get all Disneyfied.
  3. Anonymous September 13, 2007 8:57 PM
    This'll be interesting.
  4. James September 13, 2007 11:00 PM
    IMO I think this is full on. If it doesn't happen I will be very shocked. On a side note, Lisberger is making another one too, called Soul Code.
    http://www.cinematical.com/2007/09/05/tron-director-returns-with-soul-code/

    Also if you want to hear a small (very small) mention of it. There's a blurb of it on "The Totally Rad Show" Episode 25 if you don't want to watch the whole show it starts at 19:50 but it's a Totally Rad Show ;)
  5. Anonymous September 14, 2007 3:03 AM
    This sounds encouraging. I thought the whole idea of a sequel was totally dead.

    What would be nice is if they made it a bit of a deeper story. While the effects were great in the original, and the story had some nice elements, it was pretty thin. Afficionadoes know that they were originally going to include a "love scene" in the original movie, but it just didn't work, so they took it out. I agree it would've stuck out like a sore thumb, but that's only because the story didn't really develop any characters. It was an action movie. The sequel should definitely have action, but I'd like to see it develop the characters more.

Post a Comment