A companion to the TRON 2.0 Unofficial FAQ that provides up-to-date
news about the TRON 2.0 gaming community and TRON in general.



If you're having trouble with the TRON 2.0: Killer App Mod
Read this Troubleshooting Guide




REZ Handler 2.0 Preview

By TronFAQ on Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 6:19 PM
I've been quietly working on the next version of REZ Handler, for months now. I actually didn't plan to reveal anything about it until it was done. I preferred the idea of working on it, until it was feature complete and working to my satisfaction, before talking about it openly. It's a large, ambitious project and it would have been easy to announce it: then never live up to the original promises in a reasonable timeframe. I thought it best to not talk about it, until it was ready. (I work on this in my spare time, and there have been periods where sometimes days or even weeks would go by without working on it.)

Those plans changed, due to Daddyo's Tron Link announcement. I contacted him privately, to let him know that I'd already been working on one feature of his proposed program. In fact, I hope we can work out some kind of collaboration. But in the meantime, I've pressed on with getting one particular feature to work. And at this point — aside from some tweaking and bug fixing — that feature is done.






Demo video of Server List - 3.3 MB .WMV

Above are screenshots and a link to a video, of the Server List feature in action. This allows you to see and join TRON 2.0 servers from outside of the game. Click on a server, hit Join, and the game will go straight to joining the server you chose. The Server List feature has arguably more functions than either the game's own built-in server browser or Gamespy Arcade. And the last time I checked, Xfire will only let you see servers if a friend of yours is already on a server.

Possibly the most important addition, is that the Server List will tell you whether or not a TRON 2.0 server is hosting a Mod and which one it is. The game's built-in browser will not tell you this, and doesn't explain why you were kicked off a server if you didn't have that Mod.

I'm considering releasing an early preview version for download, with most of the program's functions disabled except for the Server List. That way, people can just use the Server List feature for now, until the rest of the program is ready. This would be done on the understanding that this is a Pre-Alpha version, that is bound to have bugs and is not running as efficiently as it could.

Bug reports and constructive criticism would be welcomed. Complaints just to bitch for the sake of bitching, would not. (Some people just have to knock other people's work in order to feel good about themselves, it seems.)

June 22nd UPDATE: The preview version is now available for download from HERE.
 
<< Home

9 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous June 22, 2006 1:28 AM
    Wow Tronfaq that looks awesome! I cant wait to try it out! Good Job! :D
  2. Anonymous June 23, 2006 8:36 AM
    Now for some constructive crtisim. :p I dont know if you are going to do these anyway, but I will just let you know. First of all, in the main rez handler 2.0 window, where it says play and you have to uncheck the play button below to quit, I dont know if other people think this but I dont think its needed. Or just putting the standard close button in the corner would do fine. Also would you be able to make the program remember what options you pick eg. sort by players, enable country checking. One of the best things that I can think of would be an option for a notification when somebody joins a server. And finally the option to run on startup would be handy. Well there you have it theres my suggestions for ya.

    Michael

    P.S. PLAY MORE TRON :P
  3. Anonymous June 23, 2006 8:40 AM
    Ummmm... I just checked again and now I know what you meant by the menu popping up above the program... so there is a close button lol... but when I click on the close button it runs tron? :|
  4. Anonymous June 23, 2006 9:09 AM
    Hmmm well I checked again...... the big play/quit button is linked to the close button in the corner right? So if you have the smaller play button checked and you click on the cross.. its like clicking the big play/quit button.. if you can understand what im trying to say.
  5. TronFAQ June 23, 2006 10:22 AM
    in the main rez handler 2.0 window, where it says play and you have to uncheck the play button below to quit, I dont know if other people think this but I dont think its needed.
    ...
    the big play/quit button is linked to the close button in the corner right? So if you have the smaller play button checked and you click on the cross.. its like clicking the big play/quit button


    Yep, the close button of the window is linked to the other button. If you want to use the close button, that's cool. But the Play/Quit button is the main one.

    The idea is that the little checkbox lets you quickly choose between having the game launch when you exit the program, or just quit back to the desktop. And in the future the program is going to remember the way everything was set, the last time it was run. That checkbox will be the same way you left it before.

    Also would you be able to make the program remember what options you pick eg. sort by players, enable country checking.

    Yeah, that's coming in the future. Like I said, the program will remember all the settings throughout the entire program.

    One of the best things that I can think of would be an option for a notification when somebody joins a server.

    That's basically what Daddyo's Tron Link program is supposed to be all about. I don't know if I'll implement a feature like that.

    And finally the option to run on startup would be handy.

    Not a bad idea. :)

    P.S. PLAY MORE TRON :P

    Well, now you know why I don't . . . it's because I'm working on this program all the time! :)

    But I'll try to get back on the grid again more often.
  6. Anonymous June 23, 2006 7:12 PM
    And in the future the program is going to remember the way everything was set, the last time it was run.

    Ok I thought you might already be doing that.

    That's basically what Daddyo's Tron Link program is supposed to be all about. I don't know if I'll implement a feature like that.

    Well when you guys finish your programs maybe you can combine them! Tron Handler 2.0 anybody? :D
  7. Anonymous August 03, 2006 3:11 AM
    Tronlink calls your server browser, really nice job!
  8. Anonymous March 05, 2007 2:58 PM
    nice ideas for rez handler 2.0 tronfaq! but one thing i'd like is a refresh timing like on the tron 2.0 chat room. then ,like on tronlink, i constantly need to go back and refresh it to see if anybodys on.
  9. TronFAQ March 05, 2007 7:44 PM
    Yeah, I thought about adding an auto-refresh where you can define a refresh interval, and it will let you know if anyone has joined a server. I will probably add that feature.

    BTW, this project is not dead. I know I haven't released a newer version in a long time. REZ Handler 2.0 has been put on the backburner for now, because I'm working on something else that's taken priority.

Post a Comment