A companion to the TRON 2.0 Unofficial FAQ that provides up-to-date
news about the TRON 2.0 gaming community and TRON in general.



If you're having trouble with the TRON 2.0: Killer App Mod
Read this Troubleshooting Guide




Problem With Unofficial Patch Discovered?

By TronFAQ on Thursday, March 02, 2006 at 9:01 PM
Well, it's a bit late . . . but here is the "shocking" discovery I was talking about in my last news post. I'm certain I've found a problem with the Unofficial Patch.

I've been using the Unofficial Patch since it was first released: because I felt that it was far better than the Official Patch. And I still feel that way. The fact that it doubles the amount of custom map .REZ files you can use -- that alone -- makes it worth using. But there seems to be an issue, that needs to be fixed.

The problem specifically lies within the modified TRONSrv.exe executable, and mainly affects those who wish to host their own TRON 2.0 servers.

When using the TRONSrv.exe executable from the Unofficial Patch, the following problems occurred in testing:

  • When hosting within the game itself, music and sound effects are sometimes not heard for both the host and client.
  • When hosting a Dedicated Server, many sound effects are always completely missing for the clients.
  • When hosting within the game itself, certain maps will exhibit odd behavior. The main symptom is both objects and players falling through an elevated plane/brush, when spawned above it.
  • When hosting a Dedicated Server, certain maps will exhibit this same odd behavior: especially if they are the first in rotation. Symptoms include not only the objects/players falling problem, but also hidden objects immediately showing themselves -- instead of remaining hidden until the proper time.

The way to fix these problems, is to use the original TRONSrv.exe from the Official Patch instead. When using the original version, the aforementioned problems disappeared. And testing has shown that the Dedicated Server will still be able to load the extra custom map .REZ files, past the Official Patch limit.

On the downside, the Official Patch version of TRONSrv.exe still has problems. But these are less bothersome than the ones caused by the modified version of the executable, from the Unofficial Patch. The original version seems to crash on startup more often. And I have noticed that the "attachment bug" with players' weapons floating in mid-air by themselves, occurs more frequently with the original version. Also, there are still instances where even the original version will sometimes not play music or sound effects. But it's nowhere near as problematic.

I recommend that everyone stops using the TRONSrv.exe from the Unofficial Patch (not just server hosts) until the problems can be fixed, and replace it with the original executable. Which can be downloaded from HERE.

At least one of these problems has been independently verified in the past, HERE and HERE. And the verified problem, is the one relating to sound effects missing while playing on TRON 2.0 servers. At the time, no one realized the exact cause. But I think I've found it. All it takes is for one end (host or client) to be using the modified TRONSrv.exe from the Unofficial Patch, and the sound problem will occur.

So again, this means everyone should download the original TRONSrv.exe and replace the one they have, if they're using the Unofficial Patch.

 
<< Home

7 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous March 03, 2006 4:50 AM
    I think you are barking up the wrong tree as the missing sound problem also exists in Monolith's F.E.A.R. and since TronServ.exe is not used at all on clients or in servers hosted from within the game itself. In any case, I am looking into it though and will let you know what I find.

    Riley Pizt
  2. TronFAQ March 03, 2006 5:12 AM
    I left you a message on Boxhat, with more details. But I can tell you that even when I hosted maps within the game itself, sound effects were missing.

    This problem drove me nuts for the longest time, and I attributed it to a bug in my sound drivers or something similar. But one I replaced TRONSrv.exe, voila! The sounds returned. Even within the game itself. The game must somehow reference TRONSrv.exe when you go to host within the game.
  3. Anonymous March 03, 2006 11:40 AM
    Also I know of people whos sound cuts out while they have the official patch hosting their own server.
  4. Anonymous March 03, 2006 3:21 PM
    Okay it looks like I did make a mistake when I originally modified the file back when the official update was released. I have uploaded a fixed version of TronServ.exe at http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=e55bfb7c98165c963b4d5e77

    Please download and test it, and let me know if the sounds are heard. This isn't going to fix all of the related problems with the game though. I believe the game will still dropping sounds on occasion, but it is not due to any changes I made.
  5. TronFAQ March 04, 2006 3:48 AM
    Also I know of people whos sound cuts out while they have the official patch hosting their own server.

    Yeah. Like I said, it still happens even with the Official Patch. But the difference is that with the Unofficial Patch, it always does it. Which is why it needs to be fixed.

    Please download and test it, and let me know if the sounds are heard.

    I'll test it within the next 24 hours, and get back to you on Boxhat.
  6. Anonymous April 02, 2006 3:42 PM
    Any update yet on the "fixed" version of TRONSrv.exe? Should we continue to use the official TRONSrv.exe?
  7. TronFAQ June 10, 2006 9:12 PM
    First off, it looks like it will be a while before Riley releases an updated version of the Unofficial Patch. Please encourage him to do so, by leaving a comment in this article.

    Second, on doing further testing, I realized that only the host needs to use the original TRONSrv.exe to have sound effects for everyone. The clients don't actually need it. But people may want to download the original TRONSrv.exe just the same, in case they ever want to host a server themselves.

Post a Comment